If you are in line for a highly complex oral health care procedure or wish to simply minimize any dental anxiety or stress you feel, sedation dentistry treatments can be administered to assist with any oral health care treatments and procedures that you may need. Even if you only need a mild sedative, your dentist will be able to prescribe for you a relaxing treatment to help ease your mind and your body. Common sedatives include the following:
– Oral sedation is a sedative that is taken via a pill to greatly affect an individual’s level of consciousness. Naturally, oral sedation must be given at least 1 hour before any procedures can be done to allow the sedative to take effect.
Intravenous Moderate Sedation
– Intravenous sedation is a fast-acting sedative that is given through a vein and designed to allow oral health care treatments to be immediately given.
Inhaled Minimal Sedation
– A mild form of sedation, as patients who have undergone inhaled sedation via laughing gas, which is a mixture of oxygen and nitrous oxide, tend to be more calm, relaxed, and stress-free.
– General anesthesia requires the use of heavy anesthesia to ensure the patient will be unconscious and not wake up until the sedative has completely worn off.
– Deep sedation is designed to place an individual on the edge of consciousness but allows them to be awaked easily if necessary.
If you would like an oral health care treatment with sedation dentistry from Dr. Sanaz Khoubnazar and the rest of our team here at Smiles Santa Monica, please set an appointment to come see us at our dentist office in Santa Monica, California. We can be reached at 310-829-0808.