Do you know what causes dental erosion? Dental erosion, also known as enamel erosion, occurs when acids eat away at the precious tooth enamel shielding our teeth. Tooth enamel, the thin layer on our teeth, can be damaged in a variety of ways, but it is typically harmful acids that break through the easiest and make a tooth disposed to infection and tooth loss. Listed below are a few samples and risks of perils that can put you at risk for dental erosion:
– Sour sweets are highly acidic and can be remarkably corrosive to tooth enamel.
– Acid reflux and heartburn can increase your risk of dental erosion.
– Avoid eating chewy or sticky foods as well as snacks between meals, because the longer food sits on your teeth and gums, the higher the risk of dental erosion.
– Food and drinks with low pH levels place you at the highest risk for dental erosion.
– Harmful acids are the main cause of dental erosion and can be found in acidic foods such as citrus fruits and fruit drinks, as well as highly sugary foods, as sugar can be transformed to acid by bacteria in your mouth.
If you would like to set up an appointment with Dr. Sanaz Khoubnazar at our dental office in Santa Monica, California, please call us at 310-829-0808 today. Our team at Smiles Santa Monica looks forward to keeping your tooth enamel in pristine condition!